I’ve been thinking lately about the answer to this question as it relates to my blog. What’s its purpose; what’s it all about? More importantly, do I want to change that?
Here’s how I see it now. I blog on a daily basis to:
- keep friends & family up to date on what’s happening with us. It’s incredibly difficult to keep in touch with everyone individually right now, so this blog allows me to write it once and share it with all who want to read it.
- avoid insanity. Sometimes I just need to share/vent/rant. It’s nice to know that you can read it if you want, and skip it if you don’t. Then I don’t feel so bad about sharing as I’m not forcing it on you!
- offer advice and a sense of community that may help someone out there. I know I don’t have gobs of readers, and that’s okay. If I can provide something useful for at least one person, or make someone feel like they’re not alone in what they’re going through, I’ve succeeded.
- maintain a bit of history for Lily. I want her to be able to look back at the contents of this blog and see who she was as she grew and who we were (Ehem, in our younger years …). I’d love for her to know about the moments we’ve enjoyed with her (and because of her) every day, and just how much we love her.
- organize my thoughts and keep my mind stimulated. Some of the things I blog about are outside of the norm for me. I pursue them because I enjoy the challenge and love to learn, and I enjoy sharing what I discover with you.
- feel a sense of community. I’m a woman. I’m a mom … a working mom. I’m a wife, sister and friend. I work in marketing and enjoy many things like photography, cooking, crafts, our Siberian husky (Cody), sewing, quilting, scuba diving, reading, gardening, and much, much more. I’ve made friends through this blog by discussing these circumstances and interests, and I hope to continue to do so, as I enjoy the sense of community I often feel online.
What I don’t think I want to do is focus on one subject. There are so many well written “focused” blogs out there, and many times, that suits the writer better than being random in posts and topics. For me, however, I feel like I’d be leaving so much out if I focused on one subject – at least for my purpose. I know I have a very small audience, and that’s okay – it’s not about the numbers, but about capturing our lives on a day-to-day basis.
I’m going to try to focus more on making a difference in the blogosphere and providing relevant information while still sharing some personal details. I have a few ideas in the works that will allow me to share different things and to share differently, and hopefully these changes will allow this one blog out of millions (Billions?) to impact a few more lives in a positive way.
Until then, stay tuned – exciting changes are underway!